SYTA Active Member Companies are Recognized for Integrity and Professionalism
- Active members adhere to a strict code of ethics and business standards that provide a framework for providing the highest standards of professionalism, integrity and service.
- SYTA membership is recognized by the education community and in some cases is a requirement for submitting an RFP for school sponsored programs.
- Active members must be in business for at least three years and meet the requirements of SYTA’s Consumer Protection Plan. Meeting these requirements gives Active Members the use of the SYTA logo on their website and marketing materials.
- Active members connect with industry suppliers offering special “SYTA” member only rates for key attractions and services.
- Active membership applies to companies focused on selling customized student and youth group travel experiences (education, performance, language, service, sports) including group travel planners, tour operators, travel agencies, and wholly-owned subsidiaries of SYTA Active Member categories. Active members provide business documentation in addition to their membership application.
Active – New Member!
$250 One-time Initiation Fee
$695 Annual Membership Dues
$50 Optional Donation to the SYTA Youth Foundation
Total US $995
Active Member + Conference Bundle
$250 One-time Initiation Fee (waived with conference bundle)
$695 Annual Membership Dues
$305 2018 Annual Conference Registration (1 appointment taker)
Total US $1,000
SYTA Active Membership qualifications applies to group travel planners, tour operators, travel agencies, wholly owned subsidiaries of SYTA Active Member Categories and receptive tour operators applying for active membership.
Your company must meet at least one of the requirements below:
- Company provides travel for a minimum of 3,000 students/youths per year and earns annual gross revenue of at least $1 million USD from student/youth tours in the previous fiscal year and has been in business for a minimum of three years.
- Company provides travel for a minimum of 1,000 students/youths per year and earns annual gross revenue of at least $500,000 USD from student/youth tours in the previous fiscal year and has been in business for a minimum of six years.
Your company must meet all of the requirements below:
- Company’s principals have never have been convicted (or otherwise found guilty or pleaded no contest) of any offense involving fraud, deception, breach of trust, child abuse, or any other felony.
- Company’s principals have declared bankruptcy in the past five years.
- Company is a single-business entity. Consortia, associations, or franchisers are not eligible; however, their individual entities may qualify.
- Company has an established mailing address. May include P.O. Box
- Company complies with all laws, regulations, and licensing requirements applicable to the operation of your business.
We ask that you provide one of the these documents with your membership application:
- Company maintains Errors and Omissions (Professional Liability) insurance of no less than US $1 million per occurrence.
- Company submits a copy of the certificate of incorporation/other document establishing legal name.
- Company submits the name of 1 business reference from the tourism industry.
Consumer Protection Plan
Active member companies have a Consumer Protection Plan in place that equals or exceeds any one of the following standards:
- Company places all customer payments in an escrow account until paid as tour expenses or earned as income by the company. Proof of separate escrow account (bank statement) is required.
- Company purchases a bond equal to $200,000 USD with SYTA listed as the beneficiary.
- Company will provide an irrevocable letter of credit or bank-issued certificate of deposit or an indemnity bond with SYTA listed as the beneficiary in amount equal to at least $200,000 USD. Such a bond will be structured to continue 90 days after the end of the company’s membership year.
- The majority owner or one or more minority owners (ownership interests must total more than 50%), of the company will sign a notarized full personal guaranty(s) with SYTA listed as the beneficiary in the amount equal to $200,000 USD to repay customer payments upon default, insolvency or bankruptcy.
- Company has obtained an unqualified audit from an independent CPA/Chartered Accountant within the last 12 months. That audit (along with previous unqualified audits as needed) must indicate that the company was profitable for at least two of the last four years and that the company has a positive net worth as of the most recent audited year-end.
All members are committed to professionalism and integrity in student and youth travel. All companies adhere to SYTA’s Purposes, Goals, and Code of Ethics.